Search This Blog

2.20.2014

Warm Toasted Marshmallow S'mores Bars



Total. S'MORGASM!!

Since it has only been forever and a day since I last posted anything, I'd like to explain. I'm pregnant! Pregnancy works well for the eating portion of this blog however it does not work well for the writing and cooking portion. Pregnancy has made me exhausted and by the time dinner comes around the only thing I feel like making is a bowl of cereal. Now that I'm 25 weeks along I have more energy to cook however I'm usually not very hungry with the nasty heartburn I have (doesn't pregnancy sound like so much fun?!).


A common question while pregnant is "what are your cravings?" My answer is usually "what aren't I craving?!" I pretty much eat everything anything so I literally crave everything. Weeks 1-10 I couldn't get enough juice, grape juice, cherry juice, orange juice, or a mix of all of them. Then I craved salty food like guacamole. Then I craved fruit. Pretty much the whole time I crave pasta. And now I crave sweets...lots and lots of dessert!! Enter my most recent craving, S'MORES.

I try really hard not to give in to all my unhealthy cravings. I usually let the craving sit for a couple days and it will dissipate but if I let it sit and it only gets stronger, well, then I just have to give in because the baby obviously NEEDS whatever it is I'm craving. I've been craving s'mores for about a week at this point. My friend Tara is also pregnant (and due just a couple weeks after me) and mentioned this very delicious s'mores recipe awhile ago. Like any good foodie, I instantly pinned the recipe to Pinterest knowing that I'd need to tap into it at some point. So yesterday I made these s'mores bars and they were DIVINE! I put 2 bars on my plate and dug in with my fork. Each bite of this gooey, soft, marshmallowy goodness brought me a little closer to the campfire in my mind! The base is a little crumbly but at the end of the day, if you don't get a little messy eating a s'more then are you really eating a s'more?! Verdict: try these! They take less than half hour to make and are a perfect crowd pleaser.


I know you are drooling...I am!


Look at that toasty goodness!


Source: Tara via Betty Crocker (thanks Tara!!)

Ingredients:
1 tube of sugar cookie dough (1 pound 1.5 ounces)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 lb butter, melted
3 cups milk chocolate chips
4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees. Mix sugar cookie dough and graham cracker crumbs. Add melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.

2. Bake graham cracker/cookie dough mixture about 18-20 minutes or until set. As soon as you pull the cookie base out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust. Let the chocolate chips melt onto the crust for about 3-5 minutes (I actually turned off the oven and put the dish back in there to melt the chocolate better). Once the chocolate is melty, spread it around on top of the crust.

3. Turn the oven on to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over the chocolate and put back in the oven for about 30 seconds. Watch closely as the marshmallows will brown really quickly. Once the marshmallows get to the desired level of "toastedness," pull the s'mores bars out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

4. Cut the s'mores bars after 10 minutes and enjoy! If you don't eat them all you can easily put just one bar on a plate and re-heat it for about 30 seconds.

Side note: These would be great to bring to a party. Complete through step 2 and then pop in the oven to reheat at the party!



No comments:

Post a Comment