Search This Blog

1.08.2011

Venus de Milo Soup


I've been dying to make soups this winter and for some reason they seem so daunting to me. I found this one on Food.com and thought it was easy enough and a good place to get my feet wet in the world of making soups. The soup was pretty good but lacked some seasonings which I would definitely add more of next time. I also used a few cartons chicken broth instead of the condensed broth and water. I served it with flakey biscuits which I definitely did not make from scratch (thank you Pillsbury)! It made a huge batch so I was able to freeze enough for a couple lunches later on.



Source: Food.com

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
2 (14oz) cans condensed chicken broth
2 (14oz) cans water (use empty chicken broth cans)
4 cups of water
1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton French Onion soup mix
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes (I used 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes with italian seasoning)
1 (12-16oz) bag frozen vegetables
1/2 cup small pasta (shells, orzo, etc - I used dried tortellinis)
Seasonings (I added salt and pepper and a bay leaf)

Directions
  1. In a large pot brown ground beef stirring to break it up. Drain well.
  2. Add broth, onion soup mix, water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add frozen veggies and seasonings and simmer 10 more minutes.
  3. Stir in pasta and cook about 8 minutes more until pasta is done (I partially cooked my tortellini before adding to the soup).

1 comment: